You should do all assigned reading before each lecture. Be AWARE that there are ca.80+ pages of reading assigned each and every week. This task should not be daunting if you ACTIVELY
read ca.25+ before each class. The reading for this course comes in a number of forms — either (1) a curated on-line collection of ancient sources in .html format, (2) or a digital course reader in .pdf format, as well as (3) digital style guides.
REQUIRED • OWE TEXTS ON-LINE (free > open-source)
- Herodotus. 1920-25. The Persian Wars. A. D. Godley, translator.
- • story-telling Greek traveller (Father of History / Father of Lies)
- Hiuen Tsiang. 1884. Si-Yu-Ki: Buddhist Records of the Western World, I-II. S. Beal, translator.
- • Chinese Buddhist pilgrim
- Alberuni. 1888. India, I-II. E. Sachau, translator.
- • Persian intellectual conscripted by Mahmud of Ghazni
- Ibn Battuta
- Ibn Battuta. 1962. The Travels of Ibn Battuta. H. A. R. Gibb, translator.
- • Islamic legal scholar and world traveller from Tangiers
- F. Álvares 1881. Narrative of the Portuguese Embassy to Abyssinia. H. E. J. Stanley, translator.
- • Jesuit searching for a Christian king
REQUIRED SOFTWARE, HARDWARE & INCIDENTALS
- GoogleEarth Pro
- download and install desktop version (free)
NB will not work on ChromeBook
- either use the HU network on campus (free) or try out resources listed under
HU Coronavirus Updates (FAQ > Academics)
- either use built-in camera (free), or purchase a webcam (ca.$20.00-$40.00)
NB check with your department or the Office of the Provost about equipment funds
- DCpts & FTpts
- round trip bus fares (ca.$15.00)
NB this does not apply to virtual (free) scavenger hunts (DC) or museum/site visits (FT)
CR • COURSE READER
posted on Blackboard, with supplementary texts (including those below)
- Megasthenes and Arrian. 1877. Ancient India. J. W. McCrindle, translator.
- Egeria. 1919. The Pilgrimage of Etheria. M. L. McClure and C. L. Feltoe, translators.
- Ibn Fadlan
- Ahmad ibn Fadlan. 1965. Risala. H. M. Smyser, translator.
[from Bessinger and Creed. 2004. Franciplegius: Medieval and Linguistic Studies in Honor of F. P. Magoun, Jr.]
- Ibn Munqidh
- Usamah ibn Munqidh. 1964. Memoirs of an Arab-Syrian Gentleman. P. K. Hitti, translator.
- Hacker Pocket Style Manual
- see also her related list of resources specific to Classical Studies
- The Economist
- Chicago Manual of Style
- J. Bentley. 1993. Old World Encounters.
- J. Black, ed. 1999. The DK Atlas of World History.
SUGGESTIONS FOR FURTHER READING
- under construction